6 Little Known Facts About Moscow
Join us on Facebook
Archaeologists have discovered the oldest street of Moscow in Zaryadye Park. It was built in the 12th century, was called Velikaya (which means ‘great’ in Russian), and started at the Kremlin Tower (it was a tower even back then).
The Moscow Kremlin is the the world’s largest medieval fortress. The complex was built during 1482–1495. The Kremlin houses the world’s largest bell and the world’s largest cannon.
The oldest restaurant in Moscow , the “Yar”, opened in 1826. In the middle of the 19th century it became one of the most fashionable restaurants in Moscow. The finest gypsy choirs sang at the “Yar”, while the wealthiest merchants, aristocrats and even members of the Imperial family dined there.
This is a plan which was envisioned for the highest building in the world, and which was scheduled to be built under the command of Stalin in the 1930s. The project was cancelled when the war broke out, though the facade was almost complete by then. Today the Cathedral of Christ the Savior is located here.
Granite plates were originally introduced to Moscow by the Nazis. Their intention was to erect a future monument of victory, made of brown and scarlet Finnish granite, in honor of Hitler. According to legends, their plan was to flood the whole city of Moscow and then to erect a monument on the shore. Soviet soldiers intercepted German soldiers with a huge batch of granite not far from Moscow. With the passage of time it was decided to use the granite to convert the ground floor walls of two buildings on the central street of Moscow.